4.05.2006

| toxic |

Yesterday, my mom was admitted at the VR Potenciano Medical Center. She needs to undergo an operation called tahbso which is short for Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy. In layman's term, her uterus needs to be removed. She is suffering from profuse bleeding for almost a year now and the operation is the doctor's final diagnosis.

The last time I was inside a hospital was like 5 years ago. The staffs at the polymedic were surprisingly friendly and the admission itself went on smoothly. Being the eldest in our family, I took charge of taking care of my mom's medication. Since my mom is quite strong for a patient (she's not yet feeling anything beyond normal since the operation itself is still a few days away), we decided that she stay on a ward first.

The room is on the 5th floor. There are 6 hospital beds inside and only one is unoccupied. The first thing we noticed are the curtains. There are lots of curtains in the room which made it possible to seclude the area you're assigned to and have visitors stay during the night. There is a bathroom with shower inside that made it possible for me to come to work straight from the hospital. I guess this would be my routine in the coming days.

I slept on my mom's bed. yep... I occupied a part of her patient's space and slept beside her. For those of you who havent seen my mom yet, she is quite big. And she said she gained extra pounds these past few months trying to alter the effect of the blood lost in her body. It is surprising how we managed to squeeze each other's body to give room for the other. And it made me feel a bit awkward. You see my mom and I were never close. I practically grew up away from her and that mother-daughter bond that some people have is never there in our case. Last night, I realized how much I love her and how pathetically distant we grew apart from each other.

There is one thing that bothers me, though. The patient nearest my mom's bed. She is a 50 something woman, mentally retarded as we were informed by her companions and she moans all the time. And from the sounds that she make, it is clear that she is sufferring. I pity her and her condition. It made me understand that despite financial difficulties and problems, we are still blessed.

So how am I handling this situation? Im afraid. Afraid of what might happen. Frightened of how things could go wrong. I just hope that my mom gets well.

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com