4.06.2006

| nightshift |

I arrived at the office at exactly 6:41am today. I was the first person inside and every light on our wing are still switched off and even the damn airconditioner was still asleep when I entered. I usually come early, a habbit I acquired when I started working with perf team. As always, I started my day by getting a hot cup of coffee from the pantry and then proceeded by reading my mails. It was, in every aspect, an ordinary day. Except that it is absolutely not.

When I arrived at the hospital last night, my mom was alone again. She informed me that she sent my brother, whom I asked to stay until I arrive, home. Her visitors for the day had all gone home as well and she was left talking with the moaning patient's company(refer to previous post). I brought dinner for two with me. One for me and the other was supposedly for my brother. I checked with my mom earlier and she informed me that she already had her dinner. After hurriedly eating (believe me, the sick feeling inside the hospital ward and the smell of medicine made me loose my appetite no matter how hungry I am), I washed up a bit, changed my clothes and prepared for bed. Unfortunately, I had a splitting headache which made me awake for hours after laying on my mom's side. So we talked. We talked about what happened that day. About how my father screwed up again by being on the hospital way later than he promised. She said she's used to him not being true to his words. I explained why I arrived late, I was informed that I needed to finish some task an hour before I was set to leave. We talked about our relatives and gossiped about the whatabouts of some. I showed her some photos on my phone, describing the place where I worked and the people I worked with. We talked for 3hours about nothing in particular just bits and pieces of whatever came from our minds. This is the closest that I have been to my mother for the longest time that I could remember.

Our family is a unique one. Let me describe unique geographically. I live in Pasig, with my bestfriend from college Abby and her lola. My younger sister, Shiela, used to live with us but she got a new job and got assigned in Tarlac, Tarlac. So she lives there now. My mom and my dad live with my father's mother in Taytay, Rizal. My younger brother, Allan, lives in a dorm in UPLB where he is taking up Industrial Engineering. My youngest brother, Owie, meanwhile lives with my mother's parents in Batangas. He would be moving to a dorm in UP Diliman this coming school year.

Given this setup it is very difficult for us to manage and have some quality family time. Times when we are all together under the same roof are rare. They usually happen during Christmas, New Year's Eve and our barrio fiesta. And that's about it. But we get by. Our family may seem rather different than the usual but we stick with each other for as long as I can remember.

We are currently experiencing something unexpected and out of control. What breaks my heart is that as much as i avoid it, I keep thinking how unfair life is. And how cruel the world could get. I have a strong faith,yes. I believe that God in His own powerful way would lead us out through this mess. He always does. But why... why do this thing have to happen in the first place? We are perfectly satisfied with the little blessings we have, we may have financial problems every now and then...but do we really have to endure the pain of realizing how poor and helpless we are? And why does it have to be my mom? Why not me, instead? At least that way, I could rest assure that my family is all well and safe. I feel awful, and right now, I could do nothing about it. Well, nothing but pray. I pray for my mom's operation and recovery. And I pray for my family's strength.

(By the way, her operation would be tomorrow. Please pray with me and my family for her operation to be successful. It would be much help for us...)

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com