12.06.2005

| the day when i dont really care |



i love Pom poko

I was at Metrowalk last night to return a DVD we bought, "The Rock". I was not really looking for anything in particular to buy for myself since I’m trying to cut my expenses due to the fact that it is barely 3 weeks to go before Christmas. (the season comes with all kinds of spending and gift giving). So I was there, browsing thru stall 10E’s DVD titles looking for the movie list misyel asked me to buy for her. I love the stands at metro walk since they have old movies in very good quality and very affordable prices to choose from. After my job is done, I roamed around some more till I found a stall of interesting Korean movies. There, I discovered Studio Gibli and Ms Cathy, the storelady who amazingly knew what she is selling.

So that’s how, two hours after, I was watching Pom-poko, a Japanese cartoon movie (think Disney flicks only from Japan) about raccoons or Tanukis. Pom-poko is produced by Studio Ghibli and directed by Isao Takahata,one of Japan's greatest anime director. Pompoko, as I have discovered from Google and Nausicaa, is Japan's submission for the 1995 foreign-language Oscar. This movie is different for me, meaning, I don’t have any expectation and I haven’t read any good reviews, plus no friend of mine claimed it is good, heck, i dont even understand a word written on the cover-in other words, i have no idea what i had until i pressed the Play button. However, after a few minutes on the screen… I became fascinated by the movie’s plot. It was entertaining and sometimes hilarious yet politically metaphoric.






The story is about a clan of Tanukis or raccoons living in a large empty house that used to belong to humans. Initially, they were delighted to inhabit their find however, they found out later why the house is empty… nearby a construction development site is underway. Forced to live with limited resources, the Tanukis fought with each other for survival. However, an older Tanuki, proclaimed that fighting will not solve their problem and that they have to think of a way on how to stop the construction that man has begun. The next scenes deal with the strategies that the Tanukis learned. The have the capability to transform into another thing or even as a human and the young Tanukis were taught on the proper way to do this. Most of the tricks they learned and do are hilariously funny. They go on scaring humans by pretending to be ghosts and pretending to be spirits of the deities until one human-transformed wolf talked to them about living as humans do. The Tanukis, taking his advice, learned to live as humans do.

This is a really good film. Unlike your typical disney movies, the story is never dragging nor is it too fantasized. " Pom Poko" narrates the plot of environmental conservation issues with humor and wisdom. This is a good film to watch and certainly, I’ll be hunting for Studio Ghibli film more from now on.

---

did i really say in one my previous post that i got tired of lurking at peyups? well, i take it all back. id like to say thanks to peyups and all the great people there for keeping me sane during this i-hate-the-fact-that-i- have-nothing-to-do month. i have visited every single forum (except for sex and intimacy which is locked, you know) and found really interesting topics. My profile had even been promoted to the next level. Can you believe that's how engrossed I am? I compiled the lines below from the words to live by thread. I think I have to read and reread these stuff for the words to sink in.

1.Contentment is not fulfillment of what you wish but the appreciation of what you have.
2.Fight the fight that needs fighting, and not because you can win.
3.Put yourself in the other guy's shoes.
4.HAPPINESS is a state of mind.
5.LIFE is all about risks and it requires you to jump!
6.Everything happens for a reason.
7.Fate does not seek our consent
8.Life sucks... deal with it.
9.The saddest part of life is when you start seeing the bigger picture.
10.Don't screw up the best thing that ever happened to you just because you're a little unsure about who you are
11.Anyone who angers you, conquers you.
12.One broken dream is not the end of dreaming.
13.Most men fail through lack of purpose
14.You can't have everything.
15.His will is more powerful than yours.
16.Look at the little things you have in your life and make the most out of them.

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com